November 15, 2011

learning to understand coffee culture


Trying to understand coffe culture is difficult for me. our 3rd project in PD3 this semester is looking at a single cup coffee brew...i know nothing about coffee culture. ergo it makes it difficult for me to design for it...so i am doing this research & would love input. so the only way i have noticed coffee directly influencing me  is by feeding addictions & keeping people around me happy & efficient. coffee to me is grose, i am not a big girls yet, & have not acquired the taste for this ground bean water. i'm just not into it.

so learning about coffee culture inorder to design for it is obviously imperative. we are focusing specifically on one cup brews...i commend my roommate frances for grinding her own bean & french pressing them each morning. i think this is such a great solution. i'm trying to understand if we're really just so lazy that we have these prepackaged cups that we just poke into a machine for a single cup (that created unnecessary waste) & takes over more counter space. or does it taste better? do we like having other people prepare our consumables? and then we just add water? [insta coffee]

thoughts?

5 comments:

Ali Carter said...

I've just started enjoying coffee over the past year or two. And really, I'm not a big girl when it comes to it either. I like mine with lots of creams and sugar ;) My roommate, Laura, taught me how to use her French press this summer. I love the routine of boiling the water, grinding the coffee, waiting for the concoction to brew, and then pouring it into a pretty mug. Hope this helps!

Laura G. said...

My coffee addition has long surpassed my days in college. I set my coffee maker each day, and drink excessive amounts of the stuff. It's not so much the caffeine that pulls me to my coffee maker, its the taste, the smell, the feeling of being able to sit and enjoy a deliciously warm comforting drink in a big ceramic mug. I actually cried the day my favorite coffee maker died. It was an old one my aunt had given me for my first apartment in college. It brewed 12 cups, and the basket held V shaped filters which I think contributed to the excellent coffee it made me for 3 years. My roommates replacement device has more of the flat bottom basket which doesn't nearly compare. Personally, I would never buy a single cup maker because I drink far to much coffee for it to be cost & time efficient. I've tried coffee at other friend's houses who have them, and am left stumped as to what the allure is. It's about the experience. I also work at a coffee shop (fueling the addiction right?) Let me know if you have ideas you'd like to bounce around, I'd be glad to help. miss you

Taylor said...

i've been waiting my whole life for someone to ask me this question! i have loved coffee since high school. one cup brews are fancy, fun, and pretty good for an office where everybody wants a cup at different intervals (leaves no burned half pot or mess your coworker made.) BUT otherwise it's awful. tastes bad. doesn't stay hot. and uses too much packaging.

please share with us what you discover about this!

brennan marie said...

Thank you so much ladies!

nicolelapoint said...

hehee i love that the visual calls froth, 'milk foam' :) did you make that?

alsoaswell, http://theoatmeal.com/comics/coffee